The desktop version of QuickBooks Pro works very well for congregations because:
- It is versatile; it can be adapted to most any organization.
- It handles necessary fund accounting very easily. Unlike QuickBooks Online, it allows the creation of a “custom report” with rows by class that shows the balance of each fund on any day.
- It works easily and accurately for people with no bookkeeping .experience (important for volunteer treasurers and part-time staff). No knowledge of “debits and credits” or “general journal entries” is needed.
- It is inexpensive (the most recent non-profit price via TechSoup was $78 once every three years). Unfortunately, the current status of non-profit pricing is unknown.
- It can be combined with remote access (Splashtop, LogMeIn, Windows Remote Access, etc.) to provide access for multiple staff/lay leaders.
- It can provide financial reports and itemized detail to lay leaders in only a few minutes.
- It is very commonly known, so the next treasurer or staff member can step in without significant software training.
We have a number of QuickBooks recommendations on our website. Search for “QuickBooks” in the search box at the top right.